Hauliers heading for France required to get tested before travelling to ports
We strongly urge HGV drivers travelling to or via France to ensure they have a negative COVID test before heading to ports. Those using Kent ports are now also legally required to have a Kent Access Permit.
- HGVs leaving England for France can only cross the Channel with evidence of an authorised negative COVID test, that has been conducted within the 72-hour period before their departure. This is mandated by the UK and French governments.
- HGV drivers arriving in Kent with proof of a negative Covid test and a Kent Access Permit will now be ‘fast tracked’, with quicker access to the port or eurotunnel terminal.
You can get tested before you arrive at a port:
- Businesses can establish their own pre-departure testing facilities. The Department of Health & Social Care (DHSC) can provide support and testing kits free of charge. Any business wishing to explore this further should contact [email protected] in the first instance;
- A list of private testing providers can we found here – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing;
- Testing is also now available at the EU Transition Information & Advice sites across the motorway network. Testing is being offered at 10 sites today (Saturday 2 January), but this will be rolled out across additional sites over the coming days so please check gov.uk for the latest: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/haulier-advice-site-locations.
Remember to get your Kent Access Permit:
Hauliers using the Short Straits (Port of Dover or Eurotunnel) must also use the Check an HGV is Ready to Cross the Border service to:
- apply for a Kent Access Permit;
- check you have the paperwork you need to cross the border between Great Britain and the EU via the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel.
You can be fined £300 if you do not use the service when travelling through Kent ports, or if you provide a fraudulent declaration.
Please ensure you are familiar with and following the correct Covid Protocol rules when travelling. Full guidance available here: gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-hgv-operators-and-drivers-crossing-an-international-border
Get support and further information
Use our Live Chat Function (https://transport-goods-to-and-from-eu.dft.gov.uk/) or visit one of our Information and Advice sites (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/haulier-advice-site-locations) to conduct a free advisory border readiness check today.